Lefties who are feeling left out in a right-oriented world have reason for cheer today. August 13th is observed as International Left-Handers Day and is the day that left-handed people can claim as their own.
International Left-Handers Day was established in 1990, as a day to bring attention to the struggles which lefties face daily in a right-handed society. Lefties, commonly called Southpaw, face challenges in doing ordinary things because so many tools are created for the right-handed. #thestruggleisreal
Approximately 10% of the population is a Southpaw. Scientists haven’t discovered why a person is left-handed, but it more probable that you will have a left-handed child if one of the parents is left-handed.
Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it”. …Brilliant Author unknown
- 10% of people are left-handed according to a report by Scientific American.
- Geniuses are more likely to be left-handed – 20% of the top scoring SAT takers are left-handed.
- In 2013, 31% of Major League Baseball pitchers are left-handed.
- Of the last 5 Presidents, 3 were lefties – Obama, Clinton and Bush Sr.
- All lefties: Albert Einstein, Bill Gates, Barak Obama, Bill Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo da Vinci
- Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.
- While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.
- The term Southpaw was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.
- During the 1600’s people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.
- International Left Hander’s Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander’s International.
- It is believed that all polar bears are left handed. Also see Polar Bear Day.
- There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.
Fun Things To Do To Celebrate Left Handed Day
- Eat with your left hand today.
- Attempt to use only your left hand while writing today. If typing or navigating on a computer, use the mouse with your left hand.
- Look around you and notice how many people you know are left-handed.
- Attempt to cook using your left-hand as the primary one.
- Create a “Lefty Zone” where everyone who enters must only use their left hand for the day.
Do you know there is even a super cool left handers club?? The Left-Handers Club was formed in 1990 aiming to keep members in touch with developments, make their views known to manufacturers and others, provide a help & advice line, to promote research into left-handedness and development of new left-handed items.
FREE “Backwards” calendar and certificate when you join! To join, click here!
And if you can’t tell by now, the mastermind and writer behind the DiabloReporter.com is a lefty! #Leftiesunite